Many people are now making their own laundry soap. Some have expressed interest in making a liquid version because they are afraid to use powdered in their HE machines. Here is the recipe for the liquid version. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS MAKES 10 GALLONS OF SOAP!
1 bar soap (fels naptha is best)
1 c. borax
1 c. super washing soda
1 c. baking soda
1 c. SUN oxygen cleaner
1 cordless drill with CLEAN extra long paint stir attached
1 (5) gallon bucket
1 plastic funnel
something to store 10 gallons of detergent in.
- Fill the 5 gallon bucket with 2 1/2 gallons of HOT tap water.
- Melt the bar of soap and 1/2 gallon of water on the stove (it takes less time if it is grated).
- Mix the Borax, Super Washing Soda, Baking Soda, and SUN cleaner into the bucket.
- Add melted soap to the bucket.
- Fill the rest of the bucket with HOT water.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly with the drill and paint stir stick.
- Let sit overnight to gel
The next day, fill your storage container (recycled gallon jugs, vinegar jugs, store bought detergent bottles, etc) 1/2 way with water and the rest of the way with the gel mixture.
Use 1/4 (for HE) and 1/2 (for traditional) cups of the soap per load of laundry.
THE GEL AND WATER WILL SEPARATE. SHAKE WELL BEFORE EACH USE!
If you don’t have enough storage space for the whole 10 gallons you can split the mixture into 1/2 or even 1/3 to make less.